Oh my goodness. October has been a month full of surprises!
If you’ve read my last income report, I’ve been pretty down about this whole blogging thing because while I was loving the writing part, I couldn’t keep up with the cost of maintaining it. I’m due to write my next income report soon and would tell you all about it.
Anyway, let’s get on with this month’s spectacular ending.
I was nominated for a Liebster award!
I know. I know.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
For more information, see my disclosures here.
I have quite a few people tell me that it’s an online version of a chain letter, and some find it extremely tasteless to put the award up on the blog. But here’s why I’m accepting the nomination anyway:
- A good friend nominated me.
- The acknowledgment is more for my morale than anything else.
- I don’t see anything wrong with spreading a little recognition to little blogs like mine for all the hard work we baby bloggers are doing. (Try starting a blog and see what I mean).
So, what is the Liebster award?
Like I’ve said, it’s an award to recognize the wonderful qualities of small blogs like mine. It’s given by new bloggers to other baby bloggers they admire. It’s like a ripple of peptalk — to encourage and recognize each other in this sometimes thankless work we’ve put ourselves in.
You can find out more about the rules of the Liebster Award here
Who nominated me?
The lovely Tori, from Toriorioria, was very sweet to think of me when looking for someone to nominate for this award. She has an amazing blog, with even more amazing skills as a baker, caker, crafter, hostess, party planner, and event stylist! Tori writes about how you can celebrate everyday moments with lovingly handmade things.
Check out my favorite posts on her blog:
- Backyard BBQ Birthday Bash (with Free Party Printables!)
- Strawberry & Cream Éclairs
- Irish Brown Soda Bread
The Blog that started it all for me
This blog wouldn’t have existed without the encouraging words of another blogger I look up to.
Abby Lawson is the girl behind Just A Girl and Her Blog. She is a wonderful blogger. She’s a master in organizing and decorating. Just look at her post on How to Organize Every Space in Your House.
It was her eBook and eCourse for new bloggers, called Building a Framework, that literally walked me through the process of setting up A Calming Home. She talks like she truly cares that you succeed in blogging and gives random messages of encouragement in her private facebook community that comes with Building a Framework.
Not long into working with her on my blog, I also purchased her course for creating your own products called Book Boss. It teaches you everything you need to know how to launch a successful eBook in 90 days or less!
Book Boss is what I’ve used to create my first ebook, The Work-at-Home Noteboook. I’m still working on launching it, but it wouldn’t have been possible without the course and the Facebook community that also comes with it.
She’s already considered a guru in the blogosphere and is one of the most trusted bloggers who teach about blogging. She’s super sweet as well. (She’s a mom to two boys!)
10 Random Things About Me
- I love animals, but I’m scared to own any because I can’t bear to see any of them die whilst in my care. ( It took me several years to get over the death of my pet dog of 6 years when she contracted some kind of blood parasite) 🙁
- I love everything about Japan. (I’m an anime fanatic! Geek mom.)
- I was a band majorette in my school when I was 9. (I still know how to twirl a baton in 3 ways!)
- I was a kiddie beauty queen. (My mom–the stage mom.)
- I’m scared of the dark…and cats, rats, bats, and lizards. (Halloween is really not a good time for me…)
- My husband is my college sweetheart (He’s my first and last love). 🙂
- I’m very timid and soft-spoken in person. People have told me I look “too dainty” (and formal and unapproachable). But then when they get to know me, I’m “motherly”.
- I have a bachelor’s degree in Interior Design, as well as a Pastry Arts Diploma (Croissants anyone?).
- I’m very protective of my family and friends. I will defend them to a fault.
- If I were a My little Pony character, I’d be a combination of Rarity and Fluttershy.
Questions I’ve been asked
- When you have writer’s block, what do you do to work it out?
I stop writing and do something else. Sometimes my brain just needs to rest a little. But when I really need to have it done already, I just set a time and power through it. What I usually do when I’m stuck on something is create a new word document list the messages I want to put across in bullet points. Then, I start breaking the specifics for each by giving examples, telling an experience, linking to relevant sites or articles, and so on.
- What’s your favorite meal?
Anything seafood. I love salmon sashimi. And mud crabs. If you were my neighbor, I will gift you with an endless supply of bread and cakes you if you gift me with a fresh ocean bounty that I can cook with every now and then.
- What’s the most extreme thing you’ve ever done?
When my daughter was 3, she was having a hard time passing her stool. It was night time and we didn’t have any suppositories or stool softener. She was crying in pain for quite a while and my hubby was panicking. I stuck my lubricated little finger in her butthole (without gloves!), and kinda crumbled the poop from inside. I was worried that I could hurt her, but it took only a few seconds and she passed it with no problem. No more tears.
- If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why?
I’d probably be jean gray. She has telepathic and telekinetic powers. Imagine being able to use that to help change the world for the better. Plus, she’s powerful as Phoenix. She died twice; she’s reborn twice! (nerd alert)
- Would you rather explore the deep ocean or outer space?
It’s always been my dream to explore the outer space. I’m afraid of the dark, but for some reason, I love the night sky and space beyond. It’s the ocean that scares me! I don’t know what’s lurking in the deepest depths of the waters.
- If there were no restrictions or limitations, what would your dream job be?
If money were no object, I’d have my own little patisserie and a flower and home decor shop just beside. I’d take that over any other job in the world!
- What’s your favorite four-legged creature and why?
I’ve always been and always will be a dog lover. Sorry cats.
- Spring, summer, autumn or winter?
Tough one. I think summer. I can live in a forever summer because I can’t stand cold weather! Spring is a close second.
- If a genie appeared right now in a big puff of smoke, what would your three wishes be?
One, that every human on earth is good to everyone. Two, that no child (born or unborn) shall ever be harmed in ANY way! Three, eternal salvation for all.
- What was the last thing you created?
I made my son’s astronaut costume for his first birthday by hand because the sewing machine wasn’t working. A lot of love went into that costume. The theme was outerspace. (See what I mean?)
- If you could rename the street you live on, what would you rename it?
Liberty. Because that’s important, right? ^_^
That’s it! 🙂 I hope you enjoyed what little trivial knowledge I could impart about myself. I’m really boring, I know. You’ll be the first to know when I’ve reached outer space, kay? And now…
I’ve now the honor of nominating some baby bloggers that are really doing a wonderful job!
- Goedele over at Dala Muses. She blogs about mindful creativity and interior design. Check out her post on “6 Inspiring European Style Milk Paint Makeovers“
- Yael of An Organized Mommy. She blogs about homemaking and working from home. Here’s one of her useful posts: The Ultimate Guide to Lunch Meal Planning
- Ellen from Zyrakuma talks about self-care and self-improvement. Here’s a sample of her writing: How to Stop Procrastinating and Being Lazy
- Aditi at Calm Insights writes about growth, happiness, and self-improvement. Here’s her take on The Art of Living One Day at a Time.
Questions for My Nominees
- What is your normal day like as a blogger?
- What is your favorite motto/ quote/ mantra/ word of wisdom?
- What’s your biggest regret so far?
- If you could travel to any place with all expenses paid, where would it be and why?
- What are you afraid of?
- If there were no restrictions or limitations, what would your dream job be?
- If you can choose one grocery item to be forever free of charge, what would it be?
- What’s your first memory as a child?
- If you could live the life of anyone (alive or not) whose would it be and why?
- How would you spend a 1 million dollars of lottery jackpot winnings?
- If you could be on a reality show (competitive or not), what would it be and why?
There you have it! 🙂 Congratulations to my nominees! Please comment on this post to accept the nomination and then create your own post, following the rules here. I’d love to get to know you better so don’t forget to include your answers to these questions!
Now it’s your turn to answer. Even if you weren’t nominated, you can answer any of my questions too! 🙂